Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The importance of communicating to Cardiff Airport Employees


How much time should you spend talking and communicating to your people? At a CIPD event I attended the HR director of John Lewis said they spend 60% of their time doing exactly this.

Seems rather a lot – well here’s why you need to keep your people in the loop (a true anecdote from my co-camapaigner)

He recounts, how he  was waiting to  checkin at Alicante Airport at 5.30 in the morning within a large queue.  No one likes queuing at the best of times but at stupid o’clock tempers can become frayed and patience is severely tested.

“ Probably with my frustration mounting I heard a passenger in front of me (whose Uncle works at my home airport - Cardiff) regaling to several passengers that landing fees were so expensive at my Cardiff and that the Spanish Airline Vueling would be pulling out. Needless to say I corrected her on several issues.”

My co-campaigner continued “ However it does rather beg the question how often are staff (at Cardif Airport) briefed on improvements being made, the new routes coming on-stream and the negative impact of old myths like landing fees are still perpetuated”

Employees should be your biggest supporters and ambassadors for your brand and business. Communication is a key driver of employee engagement and successful change.

We passed on our observations and question regarding staff briefings to the the Airport and look forward to a more informed and positive tone from all employees going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment